“Learning to Eat Better for Less”
FoodWIse is the nutrition education program in Wisconsin that helps limited resource families and individuals choose healthful diets, purchase and prepare healthful food and handle it safely, and become more food secure by spending their food dollars wisely. FoodWIse is funded by the USDA Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formally know as the Food Stamp Program), and is a partnership between state and county governments with local partner agencies.
Who can participate?
Families or individuals who receive FoodShare Wisconsin (or who are eligible to receive FoodShare) can learn through FoodWIse.
What does FoodWIse Teach?
Programs targeted to limited resource individuals on the purchase and preparation of nutritious meals and snacks, food safety and food resource management to enhance food security. FoodWIse can help participants learn how to:
- Purchase and prepare healthful meals and snacks based on the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and MyPlate
- Keep food safe to eat
- Develop a spending and savings plan and live within that plan so food dollars will last through the month
Related Links of Interest
- Choose MyPlate – Tips and resources on healthy eating, cooking (recipes), budgeting, physical activity, and more!
- Dietary Guidelines for Healthy Americans
- What’s Cooking? USDA Mixing Bowl – Search recipes and cookbooks for fun meal ideas. You can even make and print your own cookbook!
- Nutrition apps and games! – Fun (and informative) nutrition apps and games for your smartphone or tablet.
Food Safety and Food Preservation Resources:
- Be Food Safe
- USDA Food Safety
- UW Extension Food Safety and Preservation
- National Center for Home Preservation (University of Georgia)
Other Nutrition Resources:
- Fruits and Vegetables More Matters – Produce for Better Health Foundation
- UW–Extension FoodWIse
- Food $ense Newsletter – Wisconsin Nutrition Education Program FYI Site
- Iowa State University Extension Spend Smart Eat Smart
Recent Food $ense Articles
Unable to display feed at this time.
Nutrition Education Program Staff
Marquette County UW-Extension
P.O. Box 338
480 Underwood Ave.
Montello, WI 53949
Zina Soltis, Nutrition Educator
Marquette & Waushara Counties
Waushara County UW-Extension
P.O. Box 487
209 S. St. Marie St.
Wautoma, WI 54982